Girl in the Museum – a distributed narrative… will you win a prize?

This from Jordan’s design challenge last week to choose a favorite painting and “bring it to life.”

I’m reposting this explanation from the wiki so that the department’s other distribute narrative junkies can play.

I think the paintings of Edward Hopper are so significant to me because of the deep emotional connection you can form with them if you’re in a particular state of mind to connect with them.

Hopefully, most of us are not in that state most of the time, but if we ever are, man, that’s powerful.

So I wanted to design an experience that would help you get into that emotional state and have a deep experience with the work but also not plunge my audience permanently into a big state of loneliness. So… I built a little story into the painting that if you get involved in it, helps lead to that experience.

I thought the best way (and this is in no way sucking up – I actually agonized over doing this but decided this was still the best method) to ensure that people got really involved int he story would be to set it up as a distributed narrative tied to the painting. Also, there’s a prize if you get to the end.

I swear it’s not hard to solve. The requirements are mostly that you spend some time looking at the painting and thinking in new ways.

There is a hint about the order to solve it all in the frame as well. And the thing in the middle, that’s kind of significant…

http://www.girlinthemuseum.com

thanks to Jenny Krochmal and Matt Jensen for the acting, Jared Yeager for the support, Doug Spice and Julian Bleecker for the VXML assist.