iTunes Movie Rental Error -42110

I rented a movie on iTunes and have been unable to play it for three days now with the error -42110 continually coming up, both when I tried to play the movie and after it finished downloading. Every time I started iTunes, it would check my account, begin downloading the movie and display the -42110 error. After trying some things on my own, I looked up this error online only to find the only posts about this error have been deleted. So I’ll post my experiences here in the hopes that it will help someone out there.

I submitted a trouble ticket using the iTunes automated trouble ticket system and after some explaining got this solution from apple:

1) Quit iTunes.

2) Follow the instructions in the “Remove the SC Info folder” section of this article:

http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n306424

3) After removing the SC Info folder, reopen iTunes.

4) Choose Check for Purchases from the Store menu.

5) If prompted, enter your account name and password, then click the Check button.

6) After the movie finishes downloading, choose Authorize Computer from the Store menu.

7) Enter your account name and password, then click the Authorize button.

Funny thing is, I had to swap steps 4,5 and 6,7 in order to get the error to go away. So the instructions should read in order 1,2,3,6,7,4,5. Hope this helps someone out there getting error -42110 in iTunes

2 thoughts on “iTunes Movie Rental Error -42110

1. I just wanted to say thank you a billion for this website. It’s saved me so many times.. I can’t even remember how many times I’ve used this. It’s crazy.

So I made an account so I could finally tell you how appreciative I am of you figuring this out and saving my movies.

Thank you!

2. I cannot thank you enough.

When I repeatedly got this error, I became infuriated because it screwed up my plans for the day. I calmed myself quickly and then found this page.

Thanks sooooo much!!!