Before I became an student at USC I had actually quit my job to write a game development book.
After a year of writing and development I am proud to say that my book Cocos2d for iPhone 1 Game Development Cookbook is now in print!
This book is designed to be the ultimate 2D game development book. It includes the full code of over 100 recipes built using XCode 4 and iOS 5. Every major area of game development is covered.
Recipes are designed to be modular. Get the book, download the code and plug them into your project.
Here are some of the stand-out recipes:
- Texture filled polygons
- Realistic 2D lighting
- Performing gestures
- Creating a vehicle
- Simulating bullets
- Creating a top-down isometric game engine
- Creating a loading screen with indicator
- Using positional audio in a game
- Recording audio
- Speech recognition and text-to-speech
- Firing projectiles at moving targets
- AI flocking using Boids
- A* pathfinding in a side-scroller
- Using Lua for dialogue trees
- Bluetooth/Wi-Fi voice chat without GKPeerPicker
- Wi-Fi client/server chat using CFNetwork
Go to the book website and you can download the first chapter (17 recipes) for free (PDF + XCode project).
Here is the video for Chapter 7: AI and Logic:
You can purchase the book on Amazon, on iTunes or from Packt Publishing:
If you have any questions you can send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.